Sunday, April 29, 2012

NEW YORK CITY


I spent a few days last week in New York City speaking at a conference. I spoke for two days and then I visited with some of our clients that are in that area. My wife, Maggie, went along with me so we did have a day to do some shopping and visit art galleries on Times Square.

Staying in a hotel in New York is always an experience because space is so expensive. My room was 17' x 11. This included the bathroom, shower and then the bed. No closets only two drawers. At the same time this is a brand-new motel or hotel and a unique experience because of all the technology that was involved.

One of my favorite books and a requirement for everyone that works in my office is Raving Fans. One of the principles that creates a ‘Raving Fan’ is to do what you do very well but don't try to do everything. The hotel was a very good example of this. Everything they did, they did with class and it definitely had a WOW factor. At the same time there were a lot of things they didn't do, which was okay also.

If you've never been to New York I suggest that you put it on your bucket list. There's no place like it. On a weeknight at 11 PM to be walking down Eighth Street or Seventh Street or Times Square and to be shoulder to shoulder with people is amazing. Central Park- the theaters - the shopping - no place like in the world!